Validation of water vapour profiles from the Atmospheric Chemistry Experiment (ACE)
Abstract. The Atmospheric Chemistry Experiment (ACE) mission was launched in August 2003 to sound the atmosphere by solar occultation. Water vapour (H2O), one of the most important molecules for climate and atmospheric chemistry, is one of the key species provided by the two principal instruments, the infrared Fourier Transform Spectrometer (ACE-FTS) and the MAESTRO UV-Visible spectrometer (ACE-MAESTRO). The first instrument performs measurements on several lines in the 1362–2137 cm−1 range, from which vertically resolved H2O concentration profiles are retrieved, from 7 to 90 km altitude. ACE-MAESTRO measures profiles using the water absorption band in the near infrared part of the spectrum at 926.0–969.7 nm. This paper presents a comprehensive validation of the ACE-FTS profiles. We have compared the H2O volume mixing ratio profiles with space-borne (SAGE II, HALOE, POAM III, MIPAS, SMR) observations and measurements from balloon-borne frostpoint hygrometers and a ground based lidar. We show that the ACE-FTS measurements provide H2O profiles with small retrieval uncertainties in the stratosphere (better than 5% from 15 to 70 km, gradually increasing above). The situation is unclear in the upper troposphere, due mainly to the high variability of the water vapour volume mixing ratio in this region. A new water vapour data product from the ACE-MAESTRO (Measurement of Aerosol Extinction in the Stratosphere and Troposphere Retrieved by Occultation) is also presented and initial comparisons with ACE-FTS are discussed.
M. R. Carleer et al.
M. R. Carleer et al.
M. R. Carleer et al.
34 citations as recorded by crossref.
- Spatial heterodyne observations of water (SHOW) from a high-altitude airplane: characterization, performance, and first results J. Langille et al. 10.5194/amt-12-431-2019
- Total hydrogen budget of the equatorial upper stratosphere J. Wrotny et al. 10.1029/2009JD012135
- Global variations of HDO and HDO/H2O ratios in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere derived from ACE-FTS satellite measurements W. Randel et al. 10.1029/2011JD016632
- Water vapor measurements in the mesosphere from Mauna Loa over solar cycle 23 G. Nedoluha et al. 10.1029/2009JD012504
- Validation of water vapor profiles from INSAT-3D with AIRS retrievals and ground – Based measurement over India V. Rao et al. 10.1016/j.rsase.2019.04.004
- Validation of long-term measurements of water vapor from the midstratosphere to the mesosphere at two Network for the Detection of Atmospheric Composition Change sites G. Nedoluha et al. 10.1029/2012JD018900
- Ice particle growth in the polar summer mesosphere: Formation time and equilibrium size A. Zasetsky et al. 10.1029/2009GL038727
- Validation of the Atmospheric Chemistry Experiment by noncoincident MkIV balloon profiles V. Velazco et al. 10.1029/2010JD014928
- The SPARC water vapour assessment II: profile-to-profile and climatological comparisons of stratospheric <i>δ</i>D(H<sub>2</sub>O) observations from satellite C. Högberg et al. 10.5194/acp-19-2497-2019
- Wintertime water vapor in the polar upper mesosphere and lower thermosphere: First satellite observations by Odin submillimeter radiometer S. Lossow et al. 10.1029/2008JD011462
- Water vapour profiles from SCIAMACHY solar occultation measurements derived with an onion peeling approach S. Noël et al. 10.5194/amt-3-523-2010
- Technical Note: A trace gas climatology derived from the Atmospheric Chemistry Experiment Fourier Transform Spectrometer (ACE-FTS) data set A. Jones et al. 10.5194/acp-12-5207-2012
- Validation of middle-atmospheric campaign-based water vapour measured by the ground-based microwave radiometer MIAWARA-C B. Tschanz et al. 10.5194/amt-6-1725-2013
- Validation of ACE-FTS satellite data in the upper troposphere/lower stratosphere (UTLS) using non-coincident measurements M. Hegglin et al. 10.5194/acp-8-1483-2008
- Variations in middle atmospheric water vapor from 2004 to 2013 G. Nedoluha et al. 10.1002/jgrd.50834
- SCIAMACHY lunar occultation water vapor measurements: retrieval and validation results F. Azam et al. 10.5194/amt-5-2499-2012
- Estimating the Migrating Diurnal Tide Component of Mesospheric Water Vapor C. Salinas et al. 10.1029/2021JA030187
- UTLS water vapour from SCIAMACHY limb measurementsV3.01 (2002–2012) K. Weigel et al. 10.5194/amt-9-133-2016
- The SPARC water vapour assessment II: profile-to-profile comparisons of stratospheric and lower mesospheric water vapour data sets obtained from satellites S. Lossow et al. 10.5194/amt-12-2693-2019
- Thermodynamics of homogeneous nucleation of ice particles in the polar summer mesosphere A. Zasetsky et al. 10.5194/acp-9-965-2009
- Satellite observations and modeling of transport in the upper troposphere through the lower mesosphere during the 2006 major stratospheric sudden warming G. Manney et al. 10.5194/acp-9-4775-2009
- Descent from the polar mesosphere and anomalously high stratopause observed in 8 years of water vapor and temperature satellite observations by the Odin Sub-Millimeter Radiometer Y. Orsolini et al. 10.1029/2009JD013501
- SPARC Data Initiative: Comparison of water vapor climatologies from international satellite limb sounders M. Hegglin et al. 10.1002/jgrd.50752
- A study of stratospheric chlorine partitioning based on new satellite measurements and modeling M. Santee et al. 10.1029/2007JD009057
- Validation of v1.022 mesospheric water vapor observed by the Solar Occultation for Ice Experiment instrument on the Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere satellite P. Rong et al. 10.1029/2010JD014269
- Spatial Heterodyne Observations of Water (SHOW) vapour in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere from a high altitude aircraft: Modelling and sensitivity analysis J. Langille et al. 10.1016/j.jqsrt.2018.01.026
- A global view of the extratropical tropopause transition layer from Atmospheric Chemistry Experiment Fourier Transform Spectrometer O3, H2O, and CO M. Hegglin et al. 10.1029/2008JD009984
- Upper tropospheric water vapour variability at high latitudes – Part 1: Influence of the annular modes C. Sioris et al. 10.5194/acp-16-3265-2016
- Comparison of ground-based and satellite measurements of water vapour vertical profiles over Ellesmere Island, Nunavut D. Weaver et al. 10.5194/amt-12-4039-2019
- High vertical resolution water vapour profiles in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere retrieved from MAESTRO solar occultation spectra C. Sioris et al. 10.1016/j.asr.2010.04.040
- Validation of water vapour profiles (version 13) retrieved by the IMK/IAA scientific retrieval processor based on full resolution spectra measured by MIPAS on board Envisat M. Milz et al. 10.5194/amt-2-379-2009
- VIS–NIR spectral signature and quantitative analysis of HeLa and DU145 cell line K. Ghani et al. 10.1016/j.saa.2019.117241
- Daytime SABER/TIMED observations of water vapor in the mesosphere: retrieval approach and first results A. Feofilov et al. 10.5194/acp-9-8139-2009
- Validation of MIPAS-ENVISAT H<sub>2</sub>O operational data collected between July 2002 and March 2004 G. Wetzel et al. 10.5194/acp-13-5791-2013