The semianalytical cloud retrieval algorithm for SCIAMACHY I. The validation
- 1Institute of Remote Sensing, University of Bremen, Germany
- 2Department of Geography, University of Marburg, Germany
- 3Aeronomy Laboratory, NOAA, Boulder, Colorado, USA
- 4Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA
- 5Institute of Physics, 70 Skarina Avenue, Minsk, 220072, Belarus
Abstract. A recently developed cloud retrieval algorithm for the SCanning Imaging Absorption spectroMeter for Atmospheric CHartographY (SCIAMACHY) is briefly presented and validated using independent and well tested cloud retrieval techniques based on the look-up-table approach for MODeration resolutIon Spectrometer (MODIS) data. The results of the cloud top height retrievals using measurements in the oxygen A-band by an airborne crossed Czerny-Turner spectrograph and the Global Ozone Monitoring Experiment (GOME) instrument are compared with those obtained from airborne dual photography and retrievals using data from Along Track Scanning Radiometer (ATSR-2), respectively.