Articles | Volume 10, issue 14
Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 6471–6485, 2010

Special issue: Program of Regional Integrated Experiments on Air Quality...

Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 6471–6485, 2010

  16 Jul 2010

16 Jul 2010

Temporal variations of black carbon in Guangzhou, China, in summer 2006

R. L. Verma1, L. K. Sahu1, Y. Kondo1, N. Takegawa1, S. Han1, J. S. Jung2, Y. J. Kim2, S. Fan3, N. Sugimoto4, M. H. Shammaa1, Y. H. Zhang5, and Y. Zhao6 R. L. Verma et al.
  • 1Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
  • 2Advanced Environmental Monitoring Research Center, Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST), Gwangju, Republic of Korea
  • 3Institute of Environmental Meteorology, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China
  • 4Atmospheric Remote Sensing Section, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Tsukuba, Japan
  • 5State Key Joint Laboratory of Environmental Simulation and Pollution Control, College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Peking University, Beijing, China
  • 6Air Quality Research Center, University of California, Davis, USA

Abstract. In situ measurements of the mass concentration of black carbon (BC) and mixing ratios of carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2) were made at Guangzhou, an urban measurement site in the Pearl River Delta (PRD), China, in July 2006. The average ± standard deviation (SD) concentrations of BC, CO, and CO2 were 4.7± 2.3 μgC m−3, 798± 459 ppbv, and 400± 13 ppmv, respectively. The trends of these species were mainly controlled by synoptic-scale changes in meteorology during the campaign. Based on back trajectories, data are analyzed separately for two different air mass types representing northerly and southerly flows. The northerly air masses, which constituted ~25% of the campaign, originated mostly in the PRD and hence represent observations on regional scales. On the other hand, during southerly flow (~75%), the measurements were influenced by dilution due to cleaner marine air. The diurnal patterns of BC, CO, and CO2 exhibited peak concentrations during the morning and evening hours coinciding with rush-hour traffic. The ratios of OC/BC were lower during the morning hour peaks in the concentrations of primary pollutants due to their fresh emissions mainly from vehicular traffic in Guangzhou. The diurnal variations of BC observed in southerly air masses tended to follow the traffic patterns of heavy-duty vehicles (HDV) in Guangzhou, while the roles of other sources need to be investigated. The slopes of ΔBC/ΔCO, ΔBC/ΔCO2, and ΔCO/ΔCO2 observed during northerly flows were 0.0045 μgC m−3/ppbv, 0.13 μgC m−3/ppmv, and 49.4 ppbv/ppmv, respectively, agreeing reasonably with their respective emission ratios derived from regional emission inventories.

Final-revised paper